image 1 (1)

Should Newport Harbor allow jetpacks?

Should Newport Harbor allow jetpacks?
NEWPORT BEACH – Lido Isle residents and other bayfront homeowners attended the second meeting of the Water Propelled Vessels Ad Hoc Committee, Aug. 20, in an effort to voice their concerns of safety and noise caused by the unique activity. The committee, chaired by Harbor Commissioner Joe Stapleton along with Harbor Commissioners William Kenney and Duncan McIntosh, was formed in July after the City Council implemented a six-month ban on issuing new Marine Activities Permits to jetpack businesses looking to operate in Newport Harbor. “The cost of equipment is getting more affordable and I certainly can envision a time when some private owners have 20 to 30 of these flying around the harbor,” Stapleton said. “I think we are trying to get ahead before it becomes an issue.” Many comments and questions were directed to Jetpack America owner Dean O’Malley, who currently operates the only jetpack and hovercraft type business in the harbor. His permit expires in 2015. “We want to make it work,” O’Malley said. “We are in business to be in business but we also want to be part of the community and showcase Newport Beach.” Noise and safety were the main issues of concern raised by residents at the meeting. So far, O’Malley...
Subscribe or log in to read the rest of this content.